E320 Air Mass Meter

Unfortunately, there's no Auto Zones in my immediate area.

I have a service appointment with my independent, who, based on the previous evaluation, is sure some of the O2 sensors are on the blink.

gejj

Reply to
FatHead

I also have a 98 E320 that has p0170 and p0173. Similarly it bogs when you try to quickly accelerate. Does not appear to be a vacuum leak. Check engine has been on for 3 months or so. Sound like the MAF meter?

Reply to
NotSureAboutMerc

My defective air mass meter did produce trouble codes of P0170 and P0173, but it did NOT cause any stumble or bog down in acceleration. Since my engine appeared to be operating normally, I was able to compute the developed horsepower at high RPMs under load from the measured air flow and compare this to what I thought it should be based on the published horsepower for this engine. That calculation gave me some confidence that the air mass meter was defective.

However, one of the gurus on this newsgroup said that a defective air mass meter usually causes a stumble on acceleration. Maybe it depends on how the air mass meter is defective. In my case, the air mass meter was producing an output which was about one half of what it should be in terms of the cubic feet per minute of air flow. Perhaps if the air mass meter is producing zero output or if it is indicating a larger than actual air flow, a stumble on acceleration would result. I just don't know.

Dan

you try to quickly accelerate. Does not appear to be a vacuum leak. Check engine has been on for 3 months or so. Sound like the MAF meter?

Reply to
Dan Dubosky