E320 air pump problem

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1994 Mercedes E320. When I first start it there is a loud noise coming from the air pump on the engine which lasts about 30 seconds, after which a valve must close and all sounds fine again. It sounds like when you disconect the tube from a fish tank air pump if that helps. Anyone any ideas how to stop this?

Regards

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan Smith

Air injection function at cold startup is normal unless it is starting to make more noise recently. Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

It has started making more noise than normal.

Reply to
Duncan Smith

Sounds like either the shaft or bearings are shot. I just had to have one replaced on my '95 (bearing was bad - caused belt squeal until the pump shut down after a minute or two). Not cheap to have fixed (approx $800).

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Thanks Josh. Doesn't sound like good news.

Reply to
Duncan Smith

800$ is ridiculous. Try oiling the pump first, make sure the belt and tensioner is proper and the belt is snug.

If the belt is proper and the oiling the pump doesn't help any, look for another air pump in the bone yard.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph