E320 fan noise

I own a 2003 E320 which I purchased a year ago. I have noticed that during the summer or now during the winter that when the temperature is set in auto, that the fan motor is a bit too noisy. I override the fan setting to a lower speed and that works OK. Problem is I loose the automatic temperature feature. Has anyone noticed the same problem ??

Reply to
Mike

It has to do with the auto feature overrunning the fan speed and trying to excessively increase or decrease the temp. The tempreature sensor is in the roof by the mirror assembly. Because of its location the system can't sense the interior temp adequately in all conditions. The system thinks it's hotter/colder in the cabin than it actually is and overruns the fan speed trying to compensate.

The only solution is to point the center vents upwards, directing the air flow to the sensor. If you do this it will quickly settle the system down, reduce the fan speed, etc. Then you can adj the temp to whatever feels comfortable. This is a "feature" of the old W210 climate control that has apparently been transferred to the new E Class.

I must say, however, despite this one issue the W210 climate control is one of the best auto systems I've experienced and very capable in extreme conditions.

Reply to
Jerry McG