E320 Front Spring Mount

Hey all, just had my front spring mount snap (practically) off on my 1997. Looking at it, it looks like the weld rusted through. Even pristine, it appears to be a pretty cheezy mount, lite guage metal welded to the frame. I am having a friend bend and weld it back into place. Question; Is this common for this type of failure? Does anyone know of any recalls reguarding this isssue? I believe my 83 is bolted through the frame, why would MB change to a weld? Regards to all, Ken

Reply to
Ken Bleau

Had the same happen to my 1997 E420. Couldn't believe it. Dealer claimed it was "common in the midwest with all the salt and snow". What? Fought tooth and nail with the dealer, they paid half of the nearly $2000 repair bill. (MB dealer couldn't repair it; they sent it to a 3rd party body shop).

Randy

am having a friend bend and weld it back into place.

Reply to
Randy S

I think it was a bad day in Stuttgart. I haven't gotten the bill yet, but my body shop friend is welding it back in place. I checked the other mounts and they all looked good, then again, so did this one before it let go. My 83 300d will never have this problem due to the fact that the spring mount is incorporated into the frame, very nice. I am thankful it snapped a block from my house and that it was during a "gentle" application of the brakes at a stop sign. I (in general) don't trust dealers as far as I can spit (with the wind in my face). I am hopeful that this is anomaly , not an omen. I am going to try out some POR 15 when the north east winter has eased it's clammy grip but . . . that is another thread :-) Thanks for the reply Ken

Reply to
Ken Bleau