e320 - odd noise from overhead console

We just got a second w210 last week (1997 e320). A strange noise has started in the overhead console just to the right of the sunroof swich. It is coming out of two small (1 cm) slots that look like vents. It sounds like radio static or a tiny fan with a bad bearing. The sound starts when the ignition is turned on and stops about 10 seconds after key is turned off.

Using any/all the overhead console lighting or sunroof switches has no effect.

What do they have hiding in there? Anyone have a clue?

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

Gerald G. McGeorge

Small fan motor that draws in cabin air for input sampling for the Climate Control system/sensor....

Reply to
AJDalton7

Thanks AJ! - guess I'll be taking it apart soon to find the bugger.

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

Part #- 140 830 00 08 - $89.15

They fail often in a Smoker car.... Sometimes they can be cleaned, but watch out for the sensor thermistor. Delicate part

Reply to
AJDalton7

thx Gerald. I've got part# from AJ - now, off to the parts counter (or "boutique", as they like to call it ) :^)

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

A tiny fan (with a bad bearing ;-)