e320 - odd noise from overhead console

We just got a second w210 last week (1997 e320). A strange noise has started in the overhead console just to the right of the sunroof swich. It is coming out of two small (1 cm) slots that look like vents. It sounds
like radio static or a tiny fan with a bad bearing. The sound starts when the ignition is turned on and stops about 10 seconds after key is turned off.
Using any/all the overhead console lighting or sunroof switches has no effect.
What do they have hiding in there? Anyone have a clue?
Scott D
The climate control temperature sensor (called an aspirator) is in there. (That's why if you point the center vents upwards towards those slots the fan speed & temp will go up or down almost immediately.) It has a small fan to draw in air, and a sensor to determine the relative air temp, fan is probably is going bad.

It
thx Gerald. I've got part# from AJ - now, off to the parts counter (or "boutique", as they like to call it ) :^)
Scott D
Small fan motor that draws in cabin air for input sampling for the Climate Control system/sensor....
Thanks AJ! - guess I'll be taking it apart soon to find the bugger.
Scott D

<<< We just got a second w210 last week (1997 e320). A strange noise has started in the overhead console just to the right of the sunroof swich. It is coming out of two small (1 cm) slots that look like vents. It sounds like radio static or a tiny fan with a bad bearing. The sound starts when the ignition is turned on and stops about 10 seconds after key is turned off.
Using any/all the overhead console lighting or sunroof switches has no effect.
What do they have hiding in there? Anyone have a clue?
Scott D>>>
Part #- 140 830 00 08 - $89.15
They fail often in a Smoker car.... Sometimes they can be cleaned, but watch out for the sensor thermistor. Delicate part
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:21:30 -0500, "Scott D"
A tiny fan (with a bad bearing ;-)
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk