E320 Owner Maint?

HI:
Just trying to do a simple oil change on my 1999 E320. Is the oil drain bolt by any chance reversed threaded?? I've tried without success to remove it, but think that some ***hole grease monkey along
the way put it in with an impact wrench. (I've only had the car a short time, so this is first oil change for me).
Thanks
Oop
oop snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It is possible that it has never been removed in the life of the car. Do a search for Mercedes and Topsider. It is a far easier way to do oil changes.
oop snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

6-point socket.

Thanks for the info people....... I bought the car from my daughter(she bought it new), so I'm sure it was only changed via suction. Knowing my daughter, ONLY at a MB dealer at that!!! Anyhow, I FINALLY got the drain bolt out, but had to use an impact wrench!!. Put it back in OK, but the hex head is slightly "boogered up" so will need to be replaced. Is this something available in after market? Or will I need to pay MB $25 for a single bolt??
I've always installed one of those after market drain plugs where you remove a dust cap with your fingers and replace it with one that forces open an internal valve in the drain plug itself. When drained, you simply remove the "special" fitting and replace the dust cover. Again alll done with fingers only. Hopefully, I can find one of these that will fit the Benz
Also, are the american export MBs metric or inches? A 13mm would not fit, but a 14mm seemed a bit loose. Finally wound up using a 1/2 INCH and got the thing out. Also, whoever said use only 6 sided sockets hit the nail right on.....
Finally, and FWIW, I paid the daughter only $12,500 for the vehicle in early 2007 and it had only 39K miles on it. I really think it may be the last car I ever have to buy. I'm retired and have only put about 3K miles on it since then.
Once again, mission accomplished and thanks a lot. Even with the impact wrench it was STILL hard to break, though.
Oop
AutohausAZ.com is where I get all the parts. Yes, they have the drain bolt too. MB is metric... only metric. I believe it is 13mm and the reason why it didn't fit because like you said... boogered.
I hoped you used the fiberglass oil filter and synthetic oil...
I am glad nothing is wrong with the thread on the drainbolt hole. Sound like a grease monkey used air tool to tighten up that drainbolt.
> Finally, and FWIW, I paid the daughter only $12,500 for the vehicle in > early 2007 and it had only 39K miles on it. I really think it may be > the last car I ever have to buy. I'm retired and have only put about > 3K miles on it since then.
Congrats on the car. Half year ago I got 2000 E320T 4Matic for $9800 (I am second owner too) with 90k miles and love it. I am mid age and one of my earlier dreams to drive MB has fulfilled.
> I hoped you used the fiberglass oil filter and synthetic oil...
The previous owner was using regular dyno oil but changed as regularly as in a clock. MB got 100k miles and a changed the oil twice so far to dyne as well. Can I switch to synth or semi-synth at that point - I use/used Rottlea 5W-40 in my Subarus and Yamaha bike with high-reving engine.
Yes, you can change to synthetic with no problem. Mercedes recommends you to use Synthetic.
Are you burning or losing any oil at all?
Tiger wrote:

nothing that I can know of. is it a factor here when considering the change?
No, it is not a factor for switching to synthetic oil.
I was asking you to verify that your engine is in good shape. When Mercedes introduced the FSS where oil changes are 7500+ miles... they were only requiring regular dino oil. The result was disasterous as some engine suffered from oil burning and other engine maladies... that MB offers replacement engine for those who are affected within certain circumstances. Mainly proof of regular oil change.
MB has been using suction oil change since 1996 so it is possible it never has been opened. Inspect the drainbolt head... if it look new, then use a good socket and a long ratchet to coerce it to open. Normal thread.
If the drainbolt look beaten up, then get a new bolt before you attempt to crack it open.