E320CDI Outside temperature guage problems

The outside temperature readout on my 2002 E320CDI instrument panel has gone blank - the readout has disappeared! I thought it must be the bulb(s) and pulled the instrument panel out only to
find that the bulbs are fine - I even swapped them with those in the clock readout - no change. Anyone got any suggestions what might be wrong please?
Check the sensor first. The readout should usually last much longer than the sensor (and much longer than 3 years). The sensor should be somewhere in front bumper. In 80s cars, it is behind the license plate.
The readout blanks out if the sensor gives off-limit resistance reading.