E420 vs. 5 series

I am currently thinking of buying a 97 E420 with 45k in mint condition. Before I make my choice how does this compare with the BMW 5 series? I drove a 1999 528i about a year ago and it was gutless and I didnt like it, so my BMW impression right now isn't that great. Opinions welcome =)

Reply to
Eric

Try the 540. Back when the E420 had come out I test drove that and a BMW

Reply to
marlinspike

I do not know about 5 series and they may compare well with low miles. But I own a few high mileage (+250k miles) E-Class cars, and a high mileage 3 series BMW (+100K) and there is no comparison as the miles add up. Both are nice cars, well engineered, reliable, and generally solid, but the BMW is plagued with more rattles, squeaks and loose parts than any of the MBs with twice the mileage. The 1998 E320 we just bought with 85K miles is amazing - still runs, rides and handles like new.

(as you asked - just an opinion :^)

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

youre comparing a 528 to an e420 when it should be compared to an e320. try the 540 and i think you will be pleased.

-Adam

Reply to
Adam

You'll find enthusiastic proponets for either. Do test drives if you can.

But only out of one of them will you get that incomparable view of a sight helping to point out your way...

:-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

that perfromance is if you drive on the redline all the time,, not realisic for everyday driving , I would prefer the lower end torque of the 8 cylinder around 3500 to 4500 you have some juice as opposed to 6000 rpm shifts all the time... -- do the 6000 rpm shifts with the 540 and you can have some fun !

Reply to
hayseed

Perhaps BMW just rely on accurate steering and a driver who knows which way his car is facing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have had the pleasure of owning both cars. An '02 BMW 528i New and now I have a '94 Mercedes E420 w/128K on it. Here are the issues I had with the BMW. First the car sounds, starts, looks, runs, etc. great! BUT you have to DRIVE the BMW, you can't RIDE in the driver seat on cruise. I felt the seating position was to much like a cockpit. When I was on cruise there was no place to put my feet, or right leg other than under the brake and gas. My right leg rested against the console and gets VERY sore after a bit from rubbing. The power was NEVER an issue with this car. I drove from Portsmouth, NH to Burlington, VT twice a week and if anyone knows RT. 89 you will know it has some hills. I used to own a '00 GMC Yukon that would shift up and down out of over drive 14 times and was VERY painful. BLAAAAAA, bruuuuummmmmm, BLAAAAAAA, brummmmm. The BMW shifted maybe two times when traveling at 80 MPH and did it very smooth. Now the Mercedes E420 I own now. The car is somewhat the same seating position as the BMW but alittle more on the touring comfort side. Not quite such a race position as the 528i. If the front of the seat would come up higher so that it lifted your legs up and away from the gas I think it would be perfect. The fit, finish, sound of the V8 and did I mention the POWER? Oh my GOD this car fly's. The E420 has a ride that is like no other. Very smooth, refined. When you press the gas starting out from a stop it's just soooo smooth. The BMW is all about road feel and not as smooth as the Mercedes. Don't get me wrong both cars I loved but for different reasons. If you want performance on a reasonable level, with awesome handling the BMW is you choice. If you want to have the power, handling in a moderate form, comfort and a smooth ride the E420 is the car for you. Feel free to e-mail me direct at snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com if you want to talk more about this as I have owned both, plus SAAB's all my life.

Ashley Holgate

"Eric" wrote in message news:be08id$pvd$ snipped-for-privacy@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...

Reply to
dsrg

I'd always take a MB over a BMW, unless you want a stick. Overtime MB hold up much better. I would do some searches and see if there were any problems 97E classes, like tranny problems and/or wire problems. I know the older 320/280 engines were prone to head gaskets leaks.

If the price is right, and there are no known problems, buy it

I don't like the body, but it is a damn nice car.

SW

Reply to
Steve