E430 engine light on

Hi, I have a 99 E430 and since 2 weeks ago the engine light comes on. This problem is intermittent an I had the diagnostics codes read from the car. There were 2 issues, H P0170 Fuel Trim(Bank 1) and H P0173 Fuel Trim (Bank

2).

I would appreciate help in translating these codes to possible root causes of the problem. Also let me know what repairs and cost estimates would be to resolve this. Any workarounds that would result in cost-savings is highly welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Reply to
John Smith

If you don't have a vacuum leak, you have a bad air mass sensor.

If you don't have a leaking fuel pressure regulator, you have a bad air mass sensor.

A FYI about P0170 and P0173: They are fuel trim fault codes. EITHER the mixture adaption has reached its lean stop or its rich stop. Just knowing the fault code means zilch, nada, nothing. You NEED to know WHICH way the adaption went to begin troubleshooting.

Or you can load the Mossberg and throw an air mass sensor on it..... but that is the shotgun approach to fixing the problem(s).

Air mass sensors are a 1 in 5 crapshoot that it will fix it.

Reply to
Karl