E500 135mph limiter..how to remove?

Page 1 of 3
2003 E500 has speed limiter set at 135mph, can this be removed or deactivated?
Thanks,
Grant

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:47:49 GMT, "Vetluver"

    The European car market has a "gentleman's agreement" to limit everything but sports cars to 155.     Emanuel
--
http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/1966-rolls.jpg
http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/1983-porsche.jpg

You should try that speed for 1 hour or so on a good autobahn, in a nice new MB diesel :-) make sure you know the customs of the autobahn first *-)
Here's a particularly gratifiying MB story:
A test crew of MB engineers took a fleet of new MB models to the state of Montana, where the daytime speed limit is legally deemed to be "safe, reasonable and prudent." A highway patrolman clocked them doing 135 mph on a straight stretch of uninterrupted roadway, four-divided Interstate, and busted them for speeding.
They took the tickets to court, whereupon the judge decided "that 135 mph in a Mercedes-Benz is neither unsafe, unreasonable or unprudent."
I love that story. I'd have driven that way, too, but the farmers pull their tractors onto those same roads.
Thanks for the mental trip to the Autobahn in a new MB diesel, it was every bit as good as you said it would be :)
Rugbyguy

safe
for
Idiot.
This was in the mid-1970s.
Bye bye.

I've driven on Montana interstates, all two of them (or is there more?), almost wrecked the susupension in my honda. Too hilly for long range speeding, you don't want air at 130mph

At 130-150mph, everybody else is like a tractor, unless you're on an autobahn.

:-)
cp wrote:

My recent visit to Germany and the autobahn left me disillusioned. Per your comment there used to be an MB ad of US visitor in the back seat of an S class with the host saying they would be arriving at the destination town (180 km distance) in 1 hour to the disbelieving US visitor.....well I could find no stretch of autobahn that was unlimited for longer than 20 km. Limits were 130, 120 or even 100 KPH for more than 70% of my travel from Frankfurt to Regensburg.
So where in Germany can you drive 200 kmph for 1 hour???
Bob B

Where is Regensburg? I'm trying to figure out in which direction (N, S, E,W, NW,etc) you were going. I know in trips from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf I have driven at 260-270kph for a while. I'd estimate maybe 20% of my road had a speed limit. I hear former east berlin is a good place for driving on the autobahn. Richard
Regensburg is outside Munchen (Munich) in Bavaria, which I think is considered south??? We drove by signposts for Nurenburg (sp?). The was also a lot of road repairs which is where most of the 100KPH limits were indicated.
Bob B
marlinspike wrote:

If you have a few hours time and don't care about the costs for fuel you could do the following "circle", preferably in the early morning hours (very few traffic) with lots of unlimited parts:
Take the A5/A7 Frankfurt-Kassel (north direction - about 190km), continue on A44 Kassel - Paderborn (north-west direction - about 90km), A33 Paderborn - Bielefeld (north direction - about 50km), A2 Bielefeld - Hanover (east direction - about 110km), A7 Hanover - Kassel (south direction - about 165km), A7/A5 Kassel - Frankfurt (south direction - about 190km).
Have fun and drive with care.
I'm saving this! Richard

(very
on
Paderborn -

limiter? buy a bike!
the case, minus a few cans!

Hi Bob,
very unlikely will they limit the below captioned Autobahns, actually they recently implemented a third lane on a long part of the A5 and removed the speed limit of 120 Km/h. I drive the route Frankfurt - Bielefeld and back more or less every fortnight, so I really know what I am talking about - I don't see any new limits in the forseeable future.
Chris

(very
continue on

Paderborn -

During normal traffic condition, an average speed of 180 kph for one full hour is quite rare. If you want to do that you got to know the right tracks and the right times (sunday morning 6am). When I schedule a trip from south to north (approx. 500 miles) I always take an average speed of 120 kph. This takes into consideration speeds up to 200 kph as well as construction sites, 100 kph limits and of course a short break for a coffee and a p*ss.
The mean thing with driving fast is that you are not faster in the long run. If two guys start in Munich and go to Hamburg, and one of them sets his cruise control to 130 kph (recommended max speed in germany), while the other tries to go as fast as he can, the 130 kph guy will maybe lose 10 minutes on the whole trip.
Frank

Almost every new Mercedes with auto gearbox has one, the big BMWs too. I would say: one out of five cars has one.
BTW: To call citzens of Poland "polaks" is not a sign of a good education. You should think about that.
Frank

1/5, probably why I've never seen one

Actually, I'm a Polak, 'polak' is the Polish word for...Polak. Some uneducated Americans spell it as "pollock", how did they come up with that??
Even up to here is it obvious to me that cp is a nasty troll, whether he has Polish origins or not. He also seems to have partial knowledge (to be kind) of the subject, as he thinks that there are no mandatory speed limits on motorways in Germany etc.
DAS --

Might have been the region

:-) I took a look at a map, it seemed close!

If I remember correctly, those are all over, just suggestions, cops have immediately gotten out of my way at 220kph where 130kph signs are around.

Yes, one moment you're driving 230kph, then have to slow down 80kph, usually don't have as people get out of your way before you have to brake, THAT is civilized driving, never seen and never will see anything like it on this continent. When I drove my family from Frankfurt-Main to Frankfurt-Oder (400km) my family was continually making amazed remarks on the professionalism and skill of German drivers

Well, when you have to drive from NYC to LA it's best to set it and forget it :-) I don't think German market cars have cruise control (haven't seen any), like you said cruise control leads to passive driving, no good at high speed.

Yes, but on the autobahns they are suggestions, if not I would have been caught many times, like once around Berlin where a cop kicked me out of the fast lane when I was at full speed/

Yes
They have, the 130 zones are all over, they are suggestions, I think when the electronic ones are flashing THAT is when it's not a suggestion, in heavy traffic

We'll have to ask Juergen and Christian :-)
cp wrote: (Frank Kemper wrote)

No, definitely NOT!
The round ones with the thick red frame and the numbers printed in black are always binding, no matter where they are located.

Can't say anything about that, but the signs definitely are NOT suggestions only.

No, the flashing only shall draw more attention to the signs - they are binding, no matter where they are located and no matter if the electronic signs are flashing or not.

Frank did answer that perfectly.
Juergen