E500 135mph limiter..how to remove?

Let me say it this way: Looking in mid-1970s issues of German car magazine _auto motor und sport_ shows such a discussion.

IMHO the time to invent such a speed limit is over, the motorways are so crowded nowadays chances to drive really fast are relatively sparse in the daytime and also there are many local limits.

What do Frank and Christian think?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

But it's amazing sometimes how fast crowded traffic moves :-)

On another topic, you have any opinions on late 80's 126 260SE with manual transmission?

cp

Reply to
cp

"Juergen ." hat in Betrag news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com dies gedichtet:

I don't know exactly. Imposing a general speed limit in Germany would be as unpopular as banning firearms in private households in Texas - the wide majority of people in Germany is against it. We have a socialdemocrat-green coalition ruling this country since 5 years by now, and their poll ratings are extremely bad. I doubt that they would dare to make such an unpopular step in that situation, which does not deliver any instant profit (decrease budget deficit, create more jobs, support public social security system). Unless there are daramatic changes in the public opinion, our next government will probably more conservative, and they would not dare to impose a general speed limit neither.

OTOH there are always proposals by the EU to impose an EU wide speed limit. This would be really bad, because most EU countries have 120 kph or less. Just some months ago the EU members decided to impose a system where it is possible to draw fines for speeding and other traffic "crimes" from foreigners in their home country. i.e. You run into a radar trap in France and German Police sends you the ticket. There was a lot of arguing against that in Germany, because usually traffic fines in other EU countries are much more strict than in Germany. It seems unlawful to many people that speeding by 20 kph costs you 50 bucks in Germany and an arm and a leg in France. So there is quite a strong movement to "harmonize" traffic laws all over Europe. This could mean a speed limit in Germany, although we have less lethal accidents per 1000 km than many other EU countries which have a limit.

I personally expect a limit (130 kph) within the next 5 years

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

"cp" hat in Betrag news:zd1Wa.567170 $ snipped-for-privacy@news2.calgary.shaw.ca dies gedichtet:

I have moved this to a new thread

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Even up to here is it obvious to me that cp is a nasty troll, whether he has Polish origins or not. He also seems to have partial knowledge (to be kind) of the subject, as he thinks that there are no mandatory speed limits on motorways in Germany etc.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

In European countries and probably everywhere else outside some US states the rule is that you drive on the nearside if you are not overtaking, regardless of speed.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Of course in Britain we enjoy our really 'high' absolute linit of 112 km/h (70 mph), which is more honoured in the breach. Try driving out of London on a motorway on a Friday evening. I once experienced 90 mph bumper-to-bumper driving on all three lanes. Hairy! I had almost the same more often, but I don't drive much.

Rumour has it that the police favour a limit of 85 mph, but no government seems to want to take this step.

Britain's death rate is supposedly the lowest in Europe, at least on some measure, and is falling. Motorways are the safest of the roads. This has little to do with the speed limit but nobody has the guts to say that out loud and get the speed limit up.

On a tangent, just spent a few days around Frankfurt. Had an Opel 2.2 l diesel Signum (not bad inside, not pretty outside, GM Europe's Big New Hope) and managed to reach indicated 180 km/h no trouble, but not for long because of traffic and speed limits.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

And did the driver take the picture..?...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Well, Juergen, you are (as always :-) ) right on this, I don't know too many Autobahns which allow high speeds for a significant distance at DAYTIME - but I have to admit that I am only very familiar with all Autobahns in the latitudes between Hannover and Frankfurt. I would give the A33 & A44 a try at daytime, but I have to say that the A7 (Kasseler Berge - you know waht I mean) at 4a.m. on a Sunday morning can be real fun!

Chris

Reply to
Christian Walther

Even in Canada it's against the law to overtake on the right, but I doubt even cops know that here/

Reply to
cp

It depends where you're driving. The road is suitable for that speed pretty much the whole way through, except there are speed restrictions for noise control. So some places have lots of restrictions, others have few....

Reply to
Daniel