Early 240D Engine Replacement

I would appreciate any opinions and information on the best strategy for replacing OR overhauling the 616 engine in my 1974 240D. Better to replace or overhaul? Can one still get a factory replacement for this?
Randall Brink
Randall Brink wrote:

Here in Europe you can still get OM616 engines from MB - it was not only used in /8 and W123, but also in MB100 vans and busses plus many, many years in the widely-used 207D vans and busses (Sprinter predecessors). Also it is still used in India in various new vehicles from http://www.tempoindia.com e.g. <http://www.tempoindia.com/htmlsite/prodspec.asp?prodids&catid=1&back=products.asp
What I personally do doubt is that the cost for a replacement engine from MB is in relation to the car's worth - so I would go the overhaul route, that's IMHO _much_ cheaper.
Juergen (OM616 in his W123)
http://www.mercedesengines.net/300s.htm
No 240 engine is offered so consider a five cylinder. Other alternative is a used engine but many of the used 240s are bought for non-automotive uses so the supply may be tight.
"T.G. Lambach" wrote:

Meeeeeeeeeep! ;-)
It is, see 15th row from top in list for /8 http://www.mercedesengines.net/200s.htm

Just curious: What are they used for?
Juergen (using his OM616 in his W123.123)
I definitely like the 5 cyl.--had them in my 300s and it's probebly one of the best M-B engines, IMHO.
But if I read it correctly, there is a short- and longblock offered in the info you pointed me to, for the 616.916.
Randall

Quite right, I missed it. Hope that site helps you.
That site of wonderful. Thank you!

old 240 engines are sometimes used for generators, refrigeration, boats etc.
I'd love to use a 240 diesel in a boat.