Early shifing in 1980 240D -- no adjustment rod?

I've only got a vacuum line running from on top of the valve cover down to the tranny. There is a rod that I thought led down to the tranny, on the throttle rod that twists, but that rod only goes down to a SPRING
and the spring is connected to the body. It all looks way too over engineered to be simply a tension adjuster, but you know MB. Did that rod previously go to the tranny (doesn't look like it). I mean there's the threaded rod and locknut, all this rubber layered shock absorption shit where the vertical rod connects to the throttle twist rod, but it's all connected to a simple /spring/ and it seems way too complicated to have so much adjustment for a simple spring.
The car shifts a lot better since I fixed the shut-off actuator on the injection block (dunno why) but I think this car shifts by vacuum and not by throttle position. It is a grey market vehicle. I checked my parts car (which is a 4speed stick, '83, not auto like my runner) and it has the same complicated rod system going down to a simple spring. I don't get it.
Please email 240D###NO SPAM###@mdibiofuel.com if you have any suggestions.
thanks.
Check the vacuum valve on the transmission itself. Mine had a leaking o ring causing the same problem.
Chris
if you have any suggestions.

if you have anysuggestions.

pliers) that the vacuum line attaches to you will see a flat pin (only way to describe it) that pulls out. By pulling that pin out just enough to turn it you can adjust (somewhat) the shift point....given that everything else is okay. Don't turn it more than a half turn (in either direction) before reinserting it. Snap the cap back on and give it a test run. If it works the "wrong" way, try turning the pin the opposite direction. Also, make sure the "O" ring is good enough to make adequate contact with the opaque cap/housing. Good luck!