Eclas diesel money pit (UK)

I need a heavier car to pull my caravan and am thinking of a 3/4 year old E class diesel estate (270 or 320)
Will I be buying a hardworking economical car with a long working life
ahead of it or do I believe the stories which tell me I will be buying a overhyped money pit and get a BMW instead ?
many thanks
Frank B
regularly serviced e class diesels will go forever and ever