EGR Valve elimination damage engine?

Will it damage a 3 liter 5 cylinder diesel in a 1982 123 to eliminate the EGR valve entirely? Mine is not sealing properly and is killing my low RPM power. I am considering putting in a gasket with no
opening. Will this damage the engine over time? I know it makes it go like hell for now when it just stays closed.
Paul Fretheim
You can block it between the valve and exhaust manifold without doing any damage to the engine.