ehind driver, window

Hi all. I have a 1989 560SEL and what has happened is behind the drivers door the window does not go up with the swithes. I have to make sure the window is closed (about 1/4'"remains open?) by me having to push the glass up with the palms of my hands. I'm thinking possibly the window came off it's track, somehow?

Anyway, I would like some information on taking off the door panel.What if anything should go wrong and the door "guts" come out, what should I do? Are there any connectors that I should unconnect so I can remove and reinstall the door panel. I have the passenger heated seat,window and seat recliner switches on the panel. Is there anything in the panel I should replace while I have th door panel off?

TIA,

Bill

PS. Is there someone in suffolk (mechanic) that does a great job on MB's? Also, is he fair too?

Reply to
Bill G.

Unlikely IMO. It would/should jab way before that if it were. Once you've seen this there's no mistaking it. It look sright buggered.

The plastic slider bits wear. When they do it's no longer in prefect alignment, when that happens the motor cuts out prematurely.

Go SLOWLY and CAREFULLY when removing the trim bits. Try to avoid scratching stuff. DO NOT get the pressboard backing of the door panel wet when cleaning it "while it's off" ot it'll warp and the trim bits will NEVER fit properly again (ask me how I know) and above all else heed well the warnings to not break the poastic J shaped tabs on the door panel that hold it in place into slots in the door panel. They cannot be renewed (stupid design) and break easiy. It's on the end of the workld if they doo break off (uh, ask me how I know) as the door when sealed aganst the body holds it in place, but when open it can appear a bit wonky.

Having said all that it's really quite easy to do especially when you get over the hump of having done it once. It's not nearly as scary as you might be thinking right now from reading this.

Reply to
Richard Sexton