Electric windows in W123

Hi everybody...

Let me ask you a question - is it possible to install electric windows in W123? Are there any parts for 123 or should I try using something from 124 or maybe even some completely different car (WV, Audi... no idea)?

Anybody tried? What is (may be) the cost?

Thank you in advance

PS.good to know there's a group about Mercedes :) PS2. I'm not English native speaker so forgive me any mistakes (you can point them out :)

Reply to
Valamarth

It would be cheaper to buy another 123 with electric windows than to convert your car.

Each door needs a "regulator" that's an electric motor and drive gear, the wiring harness that powers the motor, relays to switch the power and finally, the console and rear door switches and the wiring harnesses to connect everything. One can buy the regulators used but the wiring harnesses, relays will be new and relatively expensive. Then there's the labor and the risk of a mistake damaging your car's electrical system.

Cars can be repaired relatively easily - remove and replace the broken part - but quite difficult and expensive to modify as you propose.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I'm sure somebody's done it. Go to a wrecking yard and procure a 123 door, complete. With glass and interior panel and electric windows.

If you're lucky or patient you can find one in your paint color and the same interior color. And no rust. NO rust.

Now bolt this door onto your car, run a few extra wires and you're done.

If the door is not good enough or you only get the parts, then take your door apart andd add the moto. You will need ther interior panel from the auto door if I recall.

It's good to have the other door as parts. They'll be more useful as time goes on and good doors get hard to get. It's not that easy now in some areas.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Nah, I don't think so. You can disassemble a door in about half an hour. Do that to your door and the donor electric door, then reasemble it on your car. Somebody, with one persons help could do this in an afternoon.

You'll need the consold insert with windows switvhes too, get that when you get the door. And some wire and a soldering iron.

If you were to find the parts heap enough you could pay for the labour maybe. Have a body shop do the mechanical stuff and explain to them you're having an auto elecric place do the wiring. 5 hour slabour max but I bet there are people that could do it in an hour frankly.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I'm not the world's most technical guy, but I did this for a 76' Renault

16 in the early eighties. IIRC I put in new switches and wiring, the motors and mechanism came from a wreking yard. It must have looked pretty clunky, but it worked and none of my friends had electric windows back then ;)

I'd pay someone else to do it now...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Yeah I did it on a Fiat once and I wouldn't do that again but the MB really is a better car to work on. I don't mind doing this it's really not bad.

Reply to
Richard Sexton