electrical weirdness

1978 300D

A few days ago the fuel gage, temp gage, turn signals and brake lights all stopped working. Hazzards work fine as do the headlights/tailights, speedometer and clock. Any ideas?

Reply to
johnpyle

Always look at the simple things first - in this case the fuses.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Yep, take out the suspect fuse and you will see it is corroded at the contact spots.

Reply to
Tiger

Several times I've just looked at a fuse and said OK. Then find out later that the fuse link has broken, etc. Auto electrical is a very mysterious, sneaky business. :-D

Once I had a 6-month old car blow a fuse when stepped on brake. It took me a week of no brake lights to find the cable was pinched under an external star washer and it took 6-months to finally cut through to the brake lite wire. I finally remembered a trick I'd seen a pro do once in a pinch: Replace the fuse with one covered with cigarette "tin foil" and let 'er smoke. Did the trick!

I don't necessarily recommend that!

Reply to
James O'Riley