Engine keeps running!

I have a 1985 190-d M.Benz I have to drive the car at least 5 miles in order to turn the car off . If I don't the car will keep running when I take the key out. PLEASE HELP ME thank you Tom

Reply to
TCONN

you may have a vacuum leak or your vacuum pump is not working. there is an actuator that cuts off the fuel supply when you turn the engine off. I believe it's controlled by vacuum, my 300D worked this way.

Reply to
John Smith

"John Smith" hat in Betrag news:tQmFb.31447$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.columbus.rr.com dies gedichtet:

RTFM. There is a lever at the fuel injector pump for manual shut off of the engine. If this lever does not work, there is some leak in a vacuum hose. Had this problem with my '80 240 D once. Repair took the Mercedes guy some

5 minutes and a paper clip.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

he engine shut down device is a vacuum powered bellows inside the injection pump. Insufficient vacuum due to a leak - somewhere - or a broken shut down, is the problem. Leaks can occur in the door locks or climate control. Try locking the doors when you drive it so vacuum builds as its driven, sometimes this works.

Meanwhile, to stop the engine push the STOP lever on the throttle linkage that's bolted onto the engine and it WILL stop!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach