engine mount replace?

Hi, Any tips on replacing the engine mounts and possibly the tranny mount on a 1991 124? Cheers, J.

Both are pretty straight forward. I have done these on W201 and W126, both diesel but assume W124 gasoline would be similar.
I would recommend using the drive-on ramps under the front wheels. Remove the engine mount bolt (hex Allen key, 7 or 8mm, can't remember) from below. This is deep inside the cross-member so shine a flashlight into the hole and find it. Remove from both sides.
Now come out under the car. Remove other bolts on the mount from top. The mount for diesel has two more bolts on top. I am not sure about mount for gas engine. If there is not enough clearance, you may have to go to the next step first.
Use a wood (e.g. 2x4, or even a thick board) as buffer. Find a position to maximize the contact between oil pan and the wood. Place jack under the wood. Raise the engine 1-2". Do it slowly and keep checking if clearance is enough, especially at the front fan and the firewall. The pan is strong enough to be jacked up this way, though distributing the weight evenly is very important. Never jack directly into the pan or it will crack.
Remove the engine mount. If there is heat shield, note how it seats.
Installation is reverse.
Transmission mount is similar. Use the jack/wood to support under the pan. Remove the cross member and the mount. Double check where the bolts/nuts go before you start. The two cars I worked have different trans mount layout.
JSR wrote:

I read somewhere that the mounts MB dealers sell are much better and last longer than after-market mounts. Can anybody confirm this?
Bill

thanks, i will work on it next weekend... J.
Wan-ning Tan wrote:

Spent an hour or so today trying to figure this out. The passenger side mount is easily accessed, a 17mm bolt on top and two 14mm underneath. I couldn't loosen the 17mm because there was very little room for leveraging my wrench, the 14mm were no problem but they were no consolation since I couldn't budge the top one. I sprayed a bit of penetrating oil on the 17mm but there are no signs of corrosion. I will try the whole thing again after a trip to the tool shop...