Engine Oil Level

Hi,

I have been changing engine oil on my E430 in my garage. I have noticed and concerned that the car is not leveled when measuring the oil after the oil change because the garage floor is not leveled due to a drain location. I have a bubble and would like to see if my car is at level in my garage. Where do I put my bubble to check the level (lengthwise)? Is it over the driver side threshold plate?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Mo -

Reply to
Mo

level

If you need a bubble to check whether the car is level, then the car is plenty level enough.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It's not so critical but here's how to ensure the car is, in fact level.

The spots on the garage floor where the car's tires stand need to be level in relation to each other, only then will the car be level.

Mark the locations of the car's four tires on the garage floor. Get two identical (in height) cans or blocks, a long straight edge and a bubble level.

The goal is to determine which of the four spots is the highest and thus determine the shims needed to bring the other three spots (wheels) to that same height. This absolutely levels the car front to back and side to side.

Put a block onto say the LF and RF spots place the straight edge onto the blocks and determine which is the higher of the two; put a shim under the block so the straight edge shows level. Then check the FR and RR and shim the lower. Then check the front to back on each side and shim the lower, most likely the rear. Expect the rear to be as much as 1' lower than the front so water can drain out of the garage.

After the respective heights of the shims are established drive the car onto the shimmed spots; it will then be level.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

If you just put your level in that place you mentioned you should be fine ( and your car too ).

It is critical, but no need to worry too much. Just fill her up in de middle between the two tolerance marks and it is good enough.

Jannes

"Mo" schreef in bericht news:tWW7d.825$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Jukebox Hero

"Jukebox Hero" wrote

The problem is that on some MB,s you put in the right amount of oil (about same as you took out) but the level shows it needs more. So you add more oil. If you check next day, the car will be overfilled and start to blow oil through the vent.

I have found that it is best to add the correct volume and forget about what the dipstick says, at least until the next day.

Have others seen this?

Reply to
Jack

No, not on any car.