engine removal

1984 500 SEL. There is a oil leak somewhere under the car, looks like right where the transmission connects to the engine. Its all covered in oil. I dont know what it could be. I also have a bad motor mount as
well.
How much trouble would it be to pull the engine to correct the leaks. I would like to maybe clean it while it was out, along with the whole engine compartment, with the motor out. Is it alot of trouble, or do I just sound crazy to do so. This oil leak is ruining my driveway, and it needs to be corrected. What would be the best way to go.
If you are positive it is engine oil, then it probably is the rear main seal. Did you check your valve cover seals back there too?
People drop their tranny to repair this problem... not the other way around. Much less things to worry about.
Engine mounts are pretty easy to replace.
1984 500 SEL Euro 200k
The car has a terrible oil leak. It seems like its coming from where the trans and engine connect, as that area is free of dirt and grime, its just covered in oil. I also have a bad motor mount as well. I was thinking maybe I could pull the motor out and try to find the leak then, and while its out, change the motor mounts, and clean the engine off as well as the areas surrounding it since it will be out. Does this seem like a good idea? I like everything under the hood to be nice and clean and I figured why not pull the engine to fix the leak and clean it while its out. Tell me what you think guys.
What I think is I am wondering how much trouble it is to replace your driveway - say maybe a nice plastic one that you can just wash the oil off of, right into the yard or maybe even into your neighbor's yard. Could be a simpler solution. And if you plant some nice grass that thrives on oil ...
mcbrue thinkingoutsidetheboxly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
If it were me, I would pull the engine and trans together, then seperate them, but I have all the equipment to do it. It is probably one of the easist cars to do that I have ever done. I would however make sure it is not the valve covers leaking before I did anything. Paul

A large sheet tray at AutoZone along with some oil absorbent placed under the car is my solution for my 84 300D until I can get mine fixed. I don't have to pull the engine though. Just the turbo oil drain tube.