Engine replacement or rebuild

Can anyone recommend a good source for a rebuilt Engine, or someone reputable to rebuild an engine for a 1984 300TD?
The local garage wants $7k to do it, I think that's too high for the work
required, these are sleeved engines.
change the notmail to hotmail to reply

Fins a good Mercedes independent shop to obtain and install a used engine. Cost- $2,500 or so total, including new water pump, mounts, hoses etc.
I have a parts car, and it's an independent shop that wants to charge 7k, the local Mercedes dealer wants to sell me a rebuilt engine for 12k without labor. I know I can buy the whole car for that a few times over, but I'd like to keep my car if possible.
If I knew someone who would do a good rebuild at low cost, I'd be willing to ship the engine or the whole car as it's obviously less costly to ship than to pay the prices asked in my area.

edb snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com says...

Those prices are off the wall. I replaced my engine in my 1981 300SD with a guaranteed used one. Total cost labor, shipping, etc., was about $4,000.
Take a look at:
http://www.mercedesengines.net/ and
http://www.atk-engines.com /
Try this site: www.adsitco.com Good engines, good prices. ___________________________________________

Here is Adsitco's price for the 1884 300 TD
Part Number: 617.952 Model: 300D,CD,TD,TURBO Notes: 1982-85 Rebuilt Price: $4,495.00 - $449.50 (10% Online Discount) = $4,045.50 online price Core Charge: $400.00

How many miles are on your engine, and how many miles are on your timing chain? My '84 300D had 260,000 miles on it before it got hard to start from low compression, but it had a fairly new timimg chain. I was able to pull the engine out and just do my own ring and valve job for $1000 including installation parts. My labor to R&R the engine took longer than fixing it. But it runs great now. If I were you I wouldn't put more money into the car than it is worth-- $3500 tops?
--Geoff '84 300D
Ed B wrote:

Geoff has a good point. You could sell or trade yours and upgrade to a newer vehicle with a completely new set of problems to deal with.
That's the same logic I used to justify rebuilding the engine in my 300D, but I only spent a $1,000. I would not have spent even $3500, instead I would just as soon buy a newer (used) car for more money that didn't need major work. New problems don't have to be major problems.
--Geoff '84 300D