engine swap 73 220gas

I have a 73 220 (gas) with a weak 4 cylinder, and a solid body and interior. I am interested in installing a small block V8 of American manufacture, with an auto trans of same make as the engine.

I know I must be aware of too much extra front end weight, and probably not more than 250-300HP.

Has anyone done such a swap? Is there a kit available?

This is my first posting, so any help toward future postings would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Steinwand

A couple of years ago someone installed a GMC V-6 with its GM automatic into a 123 model M-B. This owner was a true mechanic who designed and fabricated things like new motor mounts, throttle linkage, changed the driveshaft length and enlarged the transmission tunnel for the GM box. Took him a year or so but afterward he liked the car's increased performance.

Perhaps a M-B six of similar vintage could be installed to avoid fabricating parts.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach