engine swap info 300dengine in 300sd

Putting engine out of my 81 300D into my 83 300sd ..... Have a pressure ? sensor on 300sd engine and wondering what it is running. Pretty well figured out the linkage and other differences between the engines.

Reply to
Arnold Walker

Arnold Walker

The turbo diesel has a boost pressure sensor on the top aft end of the intake manifold that trips at 16 psi to open the electric valve (on left fire wall) in the pressure line to the ALDA (on the injection pump) as a safety feature to prevent the engine from running away. The turbo's wastegate should open between 10 and 11 psi so this venting is really a back-up fail safe feature.

There's also a logic board wired into this circuit; it also shifts the transmission into 1st when the brake is released and the accelerator is depressed.

Is the 300D replacement engine a turbo?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

uhhhhh, 81 300D? Are you putting in a non-turbo engine? Baaaaaad idea to put in a 80hp engine into a w126 body.

cp

Reply to
cp

No....it is not turbo.But I suspected the transmission logic without really knowing. At this point ...I got the turbo engine that I pulled on an engine stand by the car . Hole in oilpan ,pretty much, killed that engine for the time being.... With the non-turbo engine mounted in the 83 300 SD. And looking back and fore between them. To puzzle out the rest of the installing procedure. And borrowing parts as needed from the 81 300D car.

Reply to
Arnold Walker

You're expecting a 77 HP diesel with a transmission that starts off in

2nd gear to move a 3,800 lb car?

You're not even in the 240D automatic league; it has a higher rear axle ratio (than 3.07:1) to give it SOME acceleration.

Yikes!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

There's also a tranny differene too, the 300D has a cable the SD does not. I think there's also a mechanical issue or clearance or shape that needs to be resolved if memory serves, it's not a drop in engine. 411 steve macswen in ottawa, he's done this and remembers the problem well.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Oygodfuckno.

Dude, sell a few of whatever parts of the 300D left that are good on ebay, and buy a SD parts car with the best motor you can find. A 300D motor barely chiugs a 300D around and the SD is a much heavier car. There's a reason MB put turbos in them, plus the turbos get better k/ss (kilometers per sack of soy).

Reply to
Richard Sexton