Erratic stock alarm shutoff

Hi Folks, First, I want to say thanks to all here, I have "lurked" here for 18 or so months and have learned a lot. I at current own 2 MB's, usually trouble free (1986 300E 3.0 5spd and a

1995 600SL auto) Both are US spec. My current problem is with my 86 300E, I bought it with 34K miles, it just turned 184K. When I park it and lock it, all is fine, but now, when I go to unlock the drivers door, all the locks open, but when I open the door, the alarm horn/headlights start off like a breakin. I have to insert key into door lock and turn a couple times in the unlock direction to silence it. It happens maybe once a week now and usually at the most inopportune times! I figure it is a switch in door going bad.

My question is, is there a way to just shut off the factory alarm (besides disconnecting the alarm horn) I am not to worried about someone stealing it, and I thing when it is operating it kills the ignition, I don't want to get stranded cause of not being able to shut down.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks Cothrom

Reply to
Cothrom

I'd really disconnect the alarm and put in an aftermarket unit. Yes, it is the switch but the switch is part of the door lock and that cost way more than a new aftermarket alarm.

Reply to
Tiger