Error message: No CD Player

I have a '99 SLK, and as I was driving the other day while listening to a CD, the radio suddenly came on. When I selected CD, the screen that normally
displays which CD and track are playing said "No CD Player."
Something similar happened about a year ago, and it fixed itself when I removed the CD cartridge and reinserted it. This time, however, the error message still displayed.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a simple fix that I haven't thought of, or does it need professional help?
I take it there is no connection with RDS, the traffic news transmission system via FM?
DAS
I'll do a check of the FM dial this afternoon to be sure, but as far as I know there is no connection with RDS; the only FM stationother than local Chicago-area radio stations is a government-funded station that gives boating conditions on Lake Michigan.

Just FYI many local and national stations in Europe broadcast traffic news at given intervals such as 15 mins on a special carrier. If you happen to be listening to a CD or tape when the item is transmitted then the CD or tape stops for the duration.
If you are listening to one of these stations at low volume, the vol is automatically increased when the traffic news comes on.
DAS

Yeah, I had that happen on my SLK also.
Unfortunately, if it doesn't work itself out in a few minutes, it does in fact requite a trip to the shop. It's probably not a bad cable since these fiber optics almost never go bad; most likely a problem with a connection or one of the units themselves.