evaporator core for my 2000 e430

I need some advice from anyone out there in the know. The passenger side of my car is blowing about 15 degrees cooler than the driver side. I took it to the shop and the guy said my evaporator core was shot and
it was going to cost 2K to get it fixed. He said he had to completely take apart the dash. My question to him was how he knew it was the core if he had to take apart the dash to get to it. Which he had no good answer for. My question is, if anyone has seen this and if indeed you think it is the evap core or if it is something else. Or, any additional questions I should ask the mechanic about this. Thanks
He was lying to you. Period. He just want a sucker to pay him to fix that job. The system is controlled by a series of flaps that control amount of heat to the passenger or driver side. They are called tempering flaps.
I am assuming you set temperature equally on the control... and still have this problem. It can be cause by bad tempering flap... or bad temperature sensor.
I strongly suggest you let the dealer fix this job for you... they got the technical support there. Or if you want to fix it yourself... get yourself a factory service manual... which reminds me... I need to get one too... for W210.
Odd how his proposed repair is the most expensive possible one to fix the fault.