Exhaust smell 420 sel

Lately I've noticed a strong exhaust smell outside the car. I can't see any smoke from the tail pipe. Where could the smell be come from?

Exhaust smell may not result in smoke. What kind of smell? Rotten egg? Oil? Engine cold? Hot? How many miles on this car? Valves generally need work between 150,000 and 200,000 mi. Does it use any oil between changes? My guess, catalytic converter, plug wires or bad valves.
I had a similar problem and it threw me for a while. Turned out I had a pretty serious (and dangerous I'm told) gas leak in the line going from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I never noticed it until I was filling up in the middle of a road trip of course :-( but it had been doing it for a while since my mom called to tell me there was a puddle under where the car was parked. Richard

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The car has done 200000 kilometers, smells like burning oil...At one time a hose that takes the engine fumes back to the air cleaner was off and I had a similar smell and smoke under the bonnet and inside the car. Not using excessive amount of oil. Just had the plugs and plug suppressors replaced.
Most likely to be your air filter cannister... one hose not correctly mounted undearneath on passenger side.