Exhaust smell 420 sel

Lately I've noticed a strong exhaust smell outside the car. I can't see any smoke from the tail pipe. Where could the smell be come from?

Reply to
Richard Smith

Exhaust smell may not result in smoke. What kind of smell? Rotten egg? Oil? Engine cold? Hot? How many miles on this car? Valves generally need work between 150,000 and 200,000 mi. Does it use any oil between changes? My guess, catalytic converter, plug wires or bad valves.

Reply to
dkmcp

Reply to
marlinspike

The car has done 200000 kilometers, smells like burning oil...At one time a hose that takes the engine fumes back to the air cleaner was off and I had a similar smell and smoke under the bonnet and inside the car. Not using excessive amount of oil. Just had the plugs and plug suppressors replaced.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Most likely to be your air filter cannister... one hose not correctly mounted undearneath on passenger side.

Reply to
Tiger