Failed Engine Vibration Damper

My mother's 1999 E320 wagon just had the Engine Vibration Damper turn into a frag grenade. Caused about $4.5k worth of damage to the engine compartment and the pretty little gadgets in there. Doing some looking around on the Internet, I found that the NHTSA had opened an investigation on these in December but closed it in April of this year as they didn't find that it had been a safety concern.
Question - Anyone else have a problem like this??? Any suggestions as to how to get MB to own up to it's responsibility for a defective part??? They are Stonewalling her and telling her that it's out of warranty.
Any Help out there???
Thanks!!! DaveHD
-- Veritas vos Liberabit - John 8:32

opened an investigation but closed It... Anyone else have a problem like this??? how to get MB to own up to it's responsibility for a defective >part??? They are Stonewalling her and telling her that it's out ofwarranty.<<
The failed crankshaft damper on the ubiquitous 3.2 V-6 has become an epidemic. Obviously a defective part, probably from a single "global" supplier. Mercedes is NOT stepping up to the plate but treating it as thousands of isolated incidents. Our shop has replaced a dozen in the last two months.
Bill - any similar grenades awaiting my inline 6 in a 96 E320? So far so good - not even a head gasket leak in it's 74K miles

My mother's 1999 E320 wagon just had the Engine Vibration Damper turn into a frag grenade. Caused about $4.5k worth of damage to the engine compartment and the pretty little gadgets in there. Doing some looking around on the Internet, I found that the NHTSA had opened an investigation on these in December but closed it in April of this year as they didn't find that it had been a safety concern.
Question - Anyone else have a problem like this??? Any suggestions as to how to get MB to own up to it's responsibility for a defective part??? They are Stonewalling her and telling her that it's out of warranty.

This just happened to us (2000 E320 with 40K miles) and cost
1400 dollars because of the damage to the oil pans. Our mechanic
This is a very common problem. The dealers do know about it but Mercedes won't admit fault. I was lucky enough to have a good dealer who replaced it under warranty, before failure. Go here to learn more:
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=d48f295e85b1ca7ccb56f68ba856bafa&threadid=63512
MC
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>My mother's 1999 E320 wagon just had the Engine Vibration Damper turn into a frag grenade.&nbsp; Caused about $4.5k worth of damage to the engine compartment and the pretty little gadgets in there.&nbsp; Doing some looking around on the Internet, I found that the NHTSA had opened an investigation&nbsp;on these in December but closed it in April of this year as they didn't find that it had been a safety concern.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Question - Anyone else have&nbsp;a problem like this???&nbsp; Any suggestions as to how to get MB to own up to it's responsibility for a defective part???&nbsp; They are Stonewalling her and telling her that it's out of warranty.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Any Help out there???</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Thanks!!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>DaveHD</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial><BR>-- <BR>Veritas vos Liberabit&nbsp; -&nbsp; John 8:32</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thanks for this! I think it's time that MB got their butts sued over this... DaveHD
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>My mother's 1999 E320 wagon just had the Engine Vibration Damper turn into a frag grenade.&nbsp; Caused about $4.5k worth of damage to the engine compartment and the pretty little gadgets in there.&nbsp; Doing some looking around on the Internet, I found that the NHTSA had opened an investigation&nbsp;on these in December but closed it in April of this year as they didn't find that it had been a safety concern.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Question - Anyone else have&nbsp;a problem like this???&nbsp; Any suggestions as to how to get MB to own up to it's responsibility for a defective part???&nbsp; They are Stonewalling her and telling her that it's out of warranty.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Any Help out there???</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Thanks!!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>DaveHD</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial><BR>-- <BR>Veritas vos Liberabit&nbsp; -&nbsp; John 8:32</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=