Failed thermo switch

The thermo switch on my 1987 190 died recently. Only became obvious when stuck in traffic. The temperature went high (close to but not into the red). Since then no obvious faults (new switch since fitted), with the
car continuing to burn no oil whatsoever and similarly no loss of coolant. The car is well maintained and regularly serviced (using good quality oil). Just like to check on whether the consensus is I've got away with it this time and that I don't have to worry about a warped head etc.
Don't worry about it. There are always two thermoswitches to handle the overheating situation. The first is the primary on that you just replaced... which does the normal job of turning on the fan and off. The secondary on comes in play when first on failed at about 105 degree. You are safe as long you don't go past 120 degree for extended time.