fan gone mad

One of the unsettling things about owning a Mercedes is that things that look simple often aren't. For instance the cabin air fan speed knob appears to function as you would expect except that sometimes some inner
intelligence takes over and makes the fan speed up for no good reason.
I have read that the ventilation system (E320 CDI yr 2000)is a closed-loop system with a temperature sensor in the pod situated near the rear-view mirror. Presumably this is affected by whether the central vents are directed towards it or not.
Closed-loop systems are good until something happens to break the feedback. I can only assume that this is happening when I am driving the fully warmed up car in normal temperatures at normal road speeds and suddenly am met by an increased noise from the fan and fierce winds from all the vents in the car.
9 times out of 10, your problem is caused by the blower regulator mounted on the blower motor......

Two others you have experienced?
DAS
"Nihil" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:yNDif.17089$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
Have you checked your fresh air filters, my E430 2002 needs 2. I am not talking about charcoal filters. It appears that my MB dealer did not change the filters during my reg. maintenance and I had to change it about a week ago. I was very dirty! My filter was behind the glove box. After removing 6 screws, I had to pull VERY hard. I thought I was breaking something it came out OK. The rest was easy.