Finally fixed my jumpy temp gauge.

After five years of putting up with my temp gauge jumping all over and acting funny, I figured it out. I have pulled the instrument cluster four times in the past and today I pulled it for the fifth time. After taking apart the cluster and removing the temp, fuel and oil pressure gauges, I found that a tiny spot on the back of the temp gauge metal housing had a tiny bad solder joint. I hit it with my iron and wala! It is perfect. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Well good job! Then tell me how I fix my jumping speedometer. when it's cold out, it jumps for a couple of minutes ...and just makes suggestions to me...on how fast I could be going :O) has been doing this since the last, let's say 6 years, so I doupt it beeing the speed wire...going bad... I suspect the gauge itself...any tips? great thanks alex waiting for his mechanic to call...and telling me that he fixed, what my mercedes dealership could not figure out....:O(

"Kevin in San Diego" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Vg3jb.77983$gv5.10085@fed1read05...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

How cold is cold? sounds like your cable is just bent at a bit of an angle and when it warms up the cable softens and stops being kinked so much. You could pull the instrument cluster and listen to just the cable while you drive. It should make a bit of noise if its the problem. The cable pretty much comes straight off the speedo and down through the firewall. You should see it just drop down behind the engine from the firewall to the tranny. Take a look at the cable and make sure there are no significant bends in it. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego