First car for a student

Page 1 of 2
I'm planning on purchasing my first car in the next few months. Does anyone have any MB model recommendations for a student who must have reliability on a budget ($7,000-$9,000)? I'm already considering the
300D, but I'd also like to get some recommendations for a gasoline model.
Thanks in advance!
three's a crowd wrote:

Three is a crowd?
The most important advice that you need to know as a student is that three is not a crowd if you can hook up with two sweet bi chicks.
And one of them should have a car so its a two fer.
Now go study.
.
E300, in good condition.
On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:13:30 GMT, "T.G. Lambach"
Thanks, will look for a local dealer to test drive one.
Can you work on a car? If not I don't recommend one at all. Richard

On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:34:26 -0400, "marlinspike"

Well, I'm no mechanic, but I can hold my own when it comes to technical knowledge about cars, spotting potential problems, and performing simple replacements (taking off air filter to replace spark plugs and wires, changing shocks, etc).

Marlinspike's advice may be brutally honest, but it's worth considering.
Reliability, Student, and Mercedes-Benz are not three things that commonly appear in the same sentence.
If you cannot afford to spend at least $80 - $110 per hour (Benz dealer around here charges 110 last I checked) for labor, or cannot troubleshoot and repair the car yourself (and afford the shop manuals and all the tools needed), then you don't need to drive behind the three-pointed star.
Get a Toyota if you want a reliable car that's easily fixed.

Japanese part's are obscenely expensive! Buy a late model General Motors. They are cheap to buy and repair, and are reliable.
If it has to be foreign, nothing beats a well kept Mercedes 300E (I own one).

Are you off your rocker? Nothing beats a 300E? Maybe you have one of the MB's that doesn't need to ever be fixed? Hahahah!
Get a Camry or something else with a 4-cylinder.

Been there, done that (5 toyota's)! Pound for pound, the 300E is the best modern gas vehicle on the market today!

This may be true for the US market, but the rest of us prefers the bulletproof 230 E ;-)
Frank

Eh. Not for the earlier cars, especially diesels.

I used to work for several years on these older cars. I know how expensive they can be to fix. Good luck finding a cheap, reliable 300D. The "cheap" ones will need lots of repair and or be rusty. The reliable ones will be scarce and come at a premium price.
Stay away from 78-81 mercedes of *any* type. The heater controller is a nightmare if it breaks.

I don't know Richard (george jacob jinglehiemersmidt, thats my name too). If, like most people I know, three's a crowd knew nothing about maintaining a car (i.e. had to have a shop change spark plugs and the like), things could get very expensive. Since he/she says replace his plugs (and hopefully can change brake pads...pretty simple on Benz's), then I say a W126 (1981-1991 S-class int he us) Richard

I dunno, there's so many electrical doo-dads on a 126 that are all failing jsut about now it's not the car I'd recommend. 300D turbo or non turbo or even a 240D if you can live with a truly slooooooooooow car.
The all time minimal maintanence MB in my book would be the 76 115 chassis non turbo 5 cylinder 300D. Manual seats, windows, locks, power nuttin. But they rust like mofos and they're pretty old; but if you live a in a non-salt state and can find one that isn't all worn out this would be the one to get.
I can only snicker at the notion of buying a cheap Toyota; there's nothing as expensive as cheap Toyota; my bother went that route. I'm still laughing 5 years later (and he dunped it 3 years ago)

considering.
maintaining
hopefully
You're crazy... I worked on german crap for years and I have been driving Toyota for the past 4 years. 50,000+ miles in two different Celicas and it's been the cheapest driving of my whole driving experience. I can't believe you guys think that MB is cheaper to operate and maintain than Toyota. It's just not true at all. The cost of the parts is somewhat equal, however..... the *quality* of the Toyota parts is a lot better. Translation = less-frequent service.
Only the diesel mercedes come close to the reliability of the Toyotas.

You can hardly make a broad weeping generalization from two celicas.
A lot of us drive 20, 30 or 40+ year old Mercedes. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 10 year old Toyota still on the road.
As for the quality of toyota parts being better than Mercedes, well, um, err, no.
As for the price, do you see Toyota ads that say "parts to fix these cars cost the same as Mercedes parts" ? No. The vide they give is they're cheap; they're not, as some of us have known all along, they cost the same.
Which car would you rather be in in an accident? A 1958 Mercedes or a 10 year old Tercel?

Celica...dude, 4 years and 50,000 miles isn't exactly a long time or an example of longevity. Now if you had said 20 years and 250,000 miles, that would be a good example. The only reason I was recommending against benz was that when something does break, if you can't do work yourself it will cost way to much. Same if you can't change your own brake pads (which is about $350 at the local indie benz mechanic and 500 at the dealer). If you can, they are the best cars to buy. Richard
Richard Sexton wrote:

GAAAAAAAASP!!!! SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW????
What do you mean with _slooooooooooow car_????
I always win all races against pedestrians, bikes, motorized bicycles and even mopeds (ok, not all mopeds, but most)!
And just today I won a race against an 279 PS Mercedes-Benz with the OM 906 engine - yes, that was a Citaro city bus, but I won!!!
So it is NOT slow - it only is not THAT fast!
Juergen
1982 W123 240D auto Euro sedan 72 PS Top speed 86 mph, 0-62.1 mph = 24.7 sec
SLOW is a W123 200D auto Euro sedan with 55 PS I once drove: Top speed 78 mph, 0-62.1 mph = 33.2 sec
That must mean that my 1980 W123 200D with 60 PS was a sports model...143 km/h top indicated...
DAS