First car for a student

Page 2 of 2
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Aaaah, sorry to nitpick, but MB states 135 km/h for the manual trans W123 200D with 60 PS - the older 55 PS version with manual trans was stated with 130 km/h (and with auto trans 125 km/h).
143 km/h were stated for W123 - 240D manual trans with 72 PS - 240 TD manual trans with 72 PS from 08/1978 on - 300D with auto trans with 80 PS - 300TD with auto trans with 80 PS - 300CD with 78 PS (auto trans available only)
In reality most W123 diesels were a bit faster than stated by the factory - coupes were a bit faster than the saloons due to the lower roofline and T-models were a bit faster than the saloons due to their rear delivering slightly better aerodynamics.
And YES, by today's standards _all_ W123 diesels ARE slow.
Juergen
I carefully used the word "indicated", especially as my figure is greater than the works figure, which you just confirmed.. :-)
My work colleagues -- many of whom had the same car type -- were always envious as they never bust the 140 km/h barrier. I put it all down to careful running in...
Of course, we have to deduct something for the inaccuracy of the speedo :-( ...which is why I never tried to find out the true top speed in order not shatter any illusions...
I must say, before I acquired the 200D -- my first diesel -- I could not understand why certain Mercs made only 'stately progress' on motorways and slowed down further on gentle inclines. I just thought they were very dignified and unhurried... :-)))
BTW, I think we have had this conversation before...
DAS
Speedometer accuracy is easily check with a GPS handheld... although I hope you have a friend to do the reading while you are driving... it is a bit dangerous to do both at the same time.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Sure we had - another proof life is a series of circles only ;-)
Juergen

It can run faster than US speed limit and faster than recommended top speed on Autobahns. So it is not really slow;-)
Frank

Frank Kemper wrote:

Well, I use it for city driving only - there power is not that important but to know the fastest route to your destination.
On country roads you notice _how_ slow it is because at - say - 90 km/h you put the hammer down and - nothing happens: It takes ages to reach the 110 km/h or so you would need to overtake. Largely the very same situation on 2-lane highways where you rarely have a chance to change from the right to the left lane - with 3-lane highways the situation is somehow better but you always notice it is car from yesterday.
BTW it always astounded me how much better a W124 200D with the very same 72 PS performs on country roads and highways.
Juergen

I was under the impression that older MB were very reliable. My family currently owns two of them; both have more than 160,000 miles and have had only minor non-engine related problems (window switches, plugged A/C drain hoses, wiper motor, etc).

how many owners have these cars had? You've done all the maintenance at the proper times, correct?
Maybe it's just where I live, but most Benz's around here that I've seen with that mileage that have had multiple owners are utter pieces of crap. The ones with that mileage that are nice, people do not sell.... unless they are gasoline cars. Which brings me to my original point.. if they are selling, there is something wrong.

My parents have, yes, and had I been the owner I would have been able to afford to perform the preventative maintenance myself. One of the cars-- a 1988 300SE (which has a value of ~$3,800 in my area today)-- has had a total of about $4,000 worth of maintenance on it. My parents are the second owner of it.
Personally, I don't like the car very much or I would just buy one of those; instead I thought I would look for a recommendation for something similar.
On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:34:43 -0400, three's a crowd

Then again, perhaps the car is ready to crack a cylinder head the next time it is started, so I shouldn't go by that...

If you already have that car, why not drive it? I doubt the cylinder head is going to go North on you without any warning at all, especially considering that your parents are the second owners..
Seems reasonable to drive it for a year or so until you find something you really like and then get that... or heck, just keep driving the 300SE for a long time.

Yeah, agreed.

I still have some thinking to do on the car subject. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help, you all seem to know your stuff.

Who goes to the dealer to fix a $7000-$9000 mercedes?
There are many competent mechanics, don't have to be benz specific who'll do a more than decent enough job.
cp
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090605000808020402020107 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
three's, i heard these same kind of opinions a few months ago when i was asking for people's thoughts, but so far i really haven't found much validity to them. In my experience, nothing much has really gone wrong, and the decision to buy a mercedes over a honda or a toyota has been, so far at least, a good one. i say, if it's the car you want to own and drive, then go for it. if you're asking for opinions here, you've prolly done some serious research on what you want to spend your dollars on, and it's better to make the decision yourself rather than hoping other people will reinforce it. do what you want to do.
and as for students and mercedes not going well together, there was a recent poll in the benzworld.org's W123 forum which seems to show that there are owners of all age groups for older mercedes.
Celica Dude wrote:

wrote:
Reliability, Student, and Mercedes-Benz are not three things that commonly appear in the same sentence.
If you cannot afford to spend at least $80 - $110 per hour (Benz dealer around here charges 110 last I checked) for labor, or cannot troubleshoot and repair the car yourself (and afford the shop manuals and all the tools needed), then you don't need to drive behind the three-pointed star.
Get a Toyota if you want a reliable car that's easily fixed.
--------------090605000808020402020107--
If you have the financial resources for the maintenance, a 300D is a good choice assuming diesel is easy to buy where you are. However be prepared for the expense of parts and labor (if you can't do it yourself) on any MB model more than 10 years old or with more than 100,000 miles.

VW Rabbit