first mercedes

im in the process of looking at a 1993 400e and wondered if there is anything i should be interested in knowing about it before i buy. it has 130,000 on it and is a one owner. thanks john jr

The one and only owner should have all the service records and these should come with the car if you buy it. At 7.5K mile oil change interval - if that's what it is - there should be 20 oil and filter changes - are there? Do a similar check with the transmission.
You basically want to determine if the car was maintained as it should have been, for the basic components will last a long time IF, BUT ONLY IF, they're properly maintained.
If you buy a M-B, find an independent shop to maintain it or learn enough about the car to DIY. Don't take it to a dealer for they always want to sell you something - repair a small oil leak etc. And always, always ask the cost before authorizing work or you'll learn first hand the cost of owning a M-B.
Repairs come in bunches so keep a $2K repair reserve on hand.
Good luck with your quest.
P.S. Look at a few E320s - 24 valve six - unless you really want the extra power of a V-8.

I dunno. My worst car has all the reocrds going back to day 1. In a week of reading them I found all sorts of interesting (not) stuff.
My best car came with no records. But I had somebody who REALLY KNEW that model look at it and they said it was a good one.
Records don't mean a whole lot to me.
On 2005-01-08 16:58:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news (Richard) said:

I agree that condition is more important then documentation. However, for people that don't feel competent or comfortable evaluating the condition themselves, record do give an indication of how a vehicle was looked after...
Marty

Not mine. Superb records. Lousy car.