First scratch and dent on new car

On the way back from work today, as I was pulling up to take a left, a car on my right overtook me and flicked what I assume a pebble.
Got out of the car to see a dent and deep scratch just above the rear wheel
arch.
The dented area is about 4 cm and the scratch about 1.5cm long. The paint along the scratch is gone and cracked. I thought this thing was meant to be scratch resistant?!!!!
I'm a bit upset, but I guess I can't expect to drive around and not expect a few dents and scratches.
What do people here recommend I do. I'm not too keen to get it fixed.. I'm sure it'll cost me far too much for such a small problem.
Is it o.k to leave the scratch and dent as it is? I'm assuming there shouldn't be any problems like rust.
The car is the new C class and metallic black Thanks
OVS wrote:

Can that be covered by insurance?
--
http://www.cannabisnews.com/ - stay abreast
www.norml.com - support

Yep, that is very true. I asked my detail guy about this, and he said that the new 'environmentally friendly' acrylic paint that MB uses now is far softer than it has ever been, and is therefore more prone to chipping/scratching/swirl marks etc.
Another bit of reverse-progress courtesey of the environmental racket.
On 2004-09-06 23:31:49 -0700, "Thomas J. Paladino Jr."

Actually it's forward progress since your perfect over priced new car is much less important then the environment.
Live with it, it's everybodys world. Marty
"Martin Joseph" snipped-for-privacy@barknaturalpet.com wrote:

Environmentalist tend to forget that making a car has a significant environmental cost. Therefore, it is a good idea to take good care of it so that it might last - rust and appearance - years longer. Also - the world's visual environment is important too. Keep the world beautiful, drive a nice MB. All in all - touching up a scratched MB is perfectly reasonable from the wider environmental view.
Find a detail shop and let them repair it. They are amazing. It'll cost several hundred but worth every penny. No insurance for something so small.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You guys can't be for real? Talk to the insurance company about a ding from a stone? Every insurance policy I've ever had has at least a few hundred dollar deductible and if you look at how the price of insurance varies with the deductible, it's far more common for people to have deductibles of $500 or $1000. If you put a claim in, you're going to wind up paying for most of it yourself anyway, then they'll raise your rates for years to come, or worse drop you. At least that's how it works here in the US.
When I had a few scratches and dents to get rid of a couple of years ago I used "Chips Away" http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ they were very good and quite reasonable.

My wife told me off that I took care of my merc more than my daugthers. When my merc got the first dent, she really wanted a party for it. A small dent wasn't worthwhile for fixing, now my merc has more than 5 dents and I drive it like a Jap car-- at least I can park it everywhere. Never mind.
PS: I gave up wash my car because I found that the more dirty my car is, the lesser chance the other car driver or passenager would slam the door on my car. Every new dent come after I washed and polished it.
Keith E14 4NS London

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:04:06 +1200, admin wrote:

Thnaks for the replies folks. I'm going to contact www.chipsaway.co.uk, If the price is not reasonable... I'll just leave it how it is.
Thanks