Flashing Lights on the Mirror?

Tried to start the E320 last night, and although all lights inside work fine, which I suspect means the battery is not drained, the starter only gives it a shot a few times and then quits and the little red and green
lights on the rearview mirror flash while the car beeps. My owners manual is still on order at the dealer. Any thoughts as to the problem? The car has started first time every time previously. Thanks