Fletcher Jones MB of Chicago

Short version of a long story... My wife and I were traveling home to Alaska from a trip to Washington D.C. in April when we stopped in Chicago to see our daughter. We went to the Fletcher Jones MB dealership there to look at a Starmark 2000 CL500 they had on the floor. They offered an exceptional deal so we bought it and had it shipped home. When the car arrived in Alaska the front floor mats were missing. I contacted the dealer and they said the mats had been removed for detailing and had been left out of the car accidently. They would send a new set... weeks later no mats. I contacted the dealer SEVERAL times via phone and email..., no problem the mats would be ordered right away... Weeks passed and no mats. I contacted MB Customer Service and they contacted the dealer, the mats would be ordered right away, so sorry. No mats weeks later. I contacted MB Customer Service again and they jumped on it again. The dealer called and said the mats had been ordered. It's now August. I still have not received the mats that come as standard equipment on this gorgeous car.

Also, when we were at the dealership looking at the car I noted that the CD changer magazine was missing. When I mentioned it to the salesman he said they couldn't control how the pre-owned cars were delivered to them. After some discussion he ended up taking the magazine out of another Starmark car (a 500 SL) and put it in our car.

Also, there was only one key with our car. The dealer refused to provide a spare so we had to order one ourselves.

Bottom line: When buying from Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz of Chicago be very careful what you get home with, they are not interested in customer service at all. Nor are they concerned with delivering your car to you with all the original factory equipment. Live and learn I guess... Dale (not Camille)

Reply to
Camille

If possible I would have your daughter visit the dealer for you. I have found that many times when you're on the phone with somebody they don't feel like they're talking to a person. Its like if you're 4000 miles away from them and on the phone then everything is anonymous and any promises they make on the phone can be forgotten as soon as you hang up because what are you going to do about it? Catch the next plane? And even then you probably don't know who you talked to. If somebody is physically there then the conversation will carry alot more weight. And if they have the mats there then they can give them to your daughter who can ship them herself. Also, don't forget to call back MB Customer Service and tell them the trouble you had to go through to get them and what poor service you received.

-Adam

Reply to
mc

You got a good deal on the car because there were no mats.

You have no idea how expenseive those mats are.

Harvey Louzon

I'm with Adam - you'd have better luck having your daughter swing by and take care of it. Barring that, you need to start taking and naming names - get the names of the people you speak to so that during follow-ups you can say "I spoke to Donald on Wednesday and he gave me his word this would be handled." Also, always ask for a tracking number when someone says they're shipping something. Ninety percent of the time when someone says an item has shipped, the person is lying and this reveals them as lying, and they ship the item out of embarrassment. The irony of all this is that, here in Chicago, FJMB's entire ad campaign when they opened was based on their great service. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

What you (and I) really learned is that all the buyer's leverage is lost the moment the cash changes hands, thereafter the seller has amnesia about all their outstanding obligations.

I once bought a used Porsche 928 from a large M-B dealer in San Jose area - same crap about the keys, title etc. A FAX to the owner got things resolved; the resolution didn't come from the salesman, he had already cashed his commission check!

That 928 was the worst car I ever owned, really poor design.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

So now your other car is a 911..?

DAS