followup: 87 300D Significant Oil Leak (sometimes)

original post: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_frm/thread/af0f05e146be7328 #

My daughter's 1987 300D (W124) has developed a significant oil leak during highway driving. No significant oil loss in normal city driving but it goes through a quart of oil in 100 miles at highway speeds, and leaves a huge puddle of oil when she stops. She has a pretty good mechanic in her town who took a quick peek and said it "looks like the turbo". She is going take it back for a closer look but I'm somewhat skeptical about needing to replace the turbo. I searched for posts with similar problems and found replies talking about return line seals and separator problems, but for models (even) older than this one. Any thoughts on what this might be and/or anything we could point her mechanic to look at? ....................Scott Jul 9, 5:50 pm ----------------------------------------------------

T.G. nailed the problem - a head gasket. It took a while to decide to invest $1800 in a car with nearly 300K miles but it is such a great car! Along with a new head gasket, they surfaced the head, put in a new water pump, glow plugs, fixed a few leaks in the injector pump, and had it detailed.
Running like new.
Continental Imports in Gainesville, Florida did the work - a very good shop and I can heartily recommend them.
Thanks T.G, and all on the list for your help!
ScottD
Your explicit description defined the problem, the rest was easy. Tom
permission.