FOR SALE: 30 day old E320 CDI , 100,000 miles

( Not really ... )

Stuttgart, Germany / Laredo, Texas, USA, May 02, 2005 The new Mercedes V6 CDI diesel engine, set to replace the existing five and six-cylinder in-line engines from summer 2005, has marked the start of its career with a string of world records. Fitted in three standard-production E 320 CDI models, the 165 kW/224 hp power plant covered the 100,000 kilometers, 50,000 and 100,000 miles respectively in world-record time* - and without any technical problems. Other class records for diesel vehicles add to the impressive record-breaking achievement on the high-speed circuit in Laredo, Texas. Despite the extreme stresses, the maintenance-free diesel particulate filter held up magnificently over the entire record distance without any deterioration in performance - further testimony to the reliability and durability of this exhaust technology. Mercedes-Benz set three cars at once on course for a record at the high-speed circuit in Laredo, Texas; all three successfully covered the record distance, thereby providing proof of the reliability of the E-Class three times over. To do so each of the three candidates did no fewer than 20,000 laps. Adding up the distances covered by all three cars gives an impressive total of 300,000 miles (482,802 kilometers) - one-and-a-quarter times the distance from the Earth to the Moon. In addition to the vast distance and dramatic variations in climatic conditions, the vehicles' suspension, chassis and electronics were subjected to particularly severe and relentless punishment from the vibrations generated by the uneven road surface. The 30 days of torture also proved the durability of the exhaust system with its integrated diesel particulate filter. Indeed, this event was a world first in that it marked the first time that this filter technology had been subjected to such massive and continuous punishment. As established by numerous test series (conducted both in the lab and on the road), success of Mercedes-Benz in this endurance run confirms that volume-manufactured diesel particulate filters can also be relied on to function perfectly over high mileages in everyday use.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

oops, looks like you beat me to it. cp

Reply to
cp

Sorry about that.

It is impressive that they could average 140 miles per hour for a month. I wonder if that is averaged out for the whole month or only when the car was moving.

Juergen would know this but I have not seen his posts in a while. Hopefully he is taking a wonderful vacation.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Ohhhh welllllll....

Well, if they really did cover 100K miles in 30 days at 140mph then they would have had to have driven for 23.81 hours per day; that's nuts, that'd give them 12 minutes per day to switch drivers, who'd probably have to be on a liquid diet :)

Yeh, maybe he's been vacationing for the past 30 days or so in Laredo, Texas :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

have had to have driven for 23.81 hours per day;

probably have to be on a liquid diet :)

also refueling, most likely they had larger fuel tanks and from experience a C class diesel at those speeds does about 23mpg (unless I miscalculated), so this maybe did 20mpg.... maybe they had 20-30 min by driving faster....so many factors, seems insane to me,

100,000 miles in one month........
Reply to
cp

Why?

The speed was _average_ speed.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

They should release those details. I wonder if they were speed limited to 155 miles per hour too.

Hopefully the V6 CDI will make it to the Sprinter soon and they will increase production so that I can find a decent one on a lot. I wonder if it will go into the SLK too.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Well, have there been person car engines in any van before?

I suppose for example Sprinter 316 CDI engine is not similar to any person car CDI engine, but I'm not sure about this.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

yup

Headlining the offensive was the SLK's new performance-orientated triple turbo (yes, triple) 3.0-litre V6. The SLK320 CDI Vision, as it officially known, was equipped with the latest Piezo Injector technology and a trick water-to-air intercooler, which enabled the engine to produce ***************286hp and 630Nm of torque*******************.

It's enough, according to Mercedes-Benz, to provide the compact roadster with 0-100kmh acceleration in 5.3 seconds, just 0.4sec slower than the V8-powered SLK55 AMG. Fuel consumption is said to average 7.5 litres per

100 kilometres on a mix of city and highway use. Translation: it's very frugal for its power.
Reply to
charles blassberg

Has more power output than my 'old-style' petrol 3.2 litre, which manages 'only' 218 PS.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, maybe they had 20-30 min by driving faster, but it's still crazy.

cp

Reply to
cp

And more importantly, more torque.

cp

Reply to
cp
630 nm = 464 foot pounds of torque. That is impressive.

and I would guess the new 4 liter V8 CDI would fit as well.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I was under the impression that the 2.7 liter 5 cylinder CDI that is in the Sprinter is the same one they put in the cars.

I do not know if that is an exception to general practice.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

What type Sprinter has 2.7 liter engine?

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Oh wait. I am in the USA. Here they sell them with the 5 cylinder 2.7 liter CDI with the same 5 speed auto that used to be in the C and E class.

All versions here have the same engine/transmission. The vans come is small/medium/large lengths with a high top option. That is the only major variation.

I guess it is probably different elsewhere.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

The 850 G class jeeps the Canadian army bought have also the same engine. Must be good if the army is using them. But then it is the Canadian army...

cp

Reply to
cp