For UK number-plate aficionados

Saw the registration number A1 ONE this morning.
As the letter O is not issued as far as I know, it should be something else.
The (rather tenuous) link to this group is that the number was on a C Sports
Coup.
DAS --
Just as tenuous and also in the UK.
On my 1988 300TE the plate used to be: RAD 101 = RADIO 1
David

else.
Sports

exactly so.

indeed it is. don't know the lucky soul who owns it ;-)

you're right. JPO xxxX, for example, would originally have been registered to a car sold in Portsmouth, UK. the PO would tell us that. the J would be random. i think the idea in the beginning was that the police would be able to know the general area of registration of any car they might come across.
sorry, yeah: you're absolutely right. although i have seen a 'Z' in the suffix group YA 03 GZH ... just today. hm, i'm confused.
No less tenuously that before, today saw a plate that was arranged as "CIUSO" but must be C1 USO.
As deviations from standard of spacing and shape are no longer permitted I hope he doesn't get stopped.
This is a genuine Italian word/name, but can't recall meaning.
Oh, it is on an older SL.
DAS --
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:16:26 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

They never were permitted my good man ;-)
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
I think they were frowned upon but not a punishable offence, otherwise how come so many variations in spacing and typeface?
The typeface was subtly changed 2 - 3 years ago or to make it more 'machine-readable' and that's when, I think, the rules were tightened up.
DAS --
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:43:52 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

Its always been an MOT failure, and as such and police officer can issue you with a vehicle defect rectification form, giving you 14 days to correct the fault and get it inspected by an MOT test station.
My failure to get my form stamped about 7 years ago for having some "fancy" plates ended up costing me 80 in court costs...
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
if i remember my school italian, ciuso means 'closed' ...
snipped-for-privacy@gmx.co.uk says...

Saw 450 SL on a 450 SL