Forbes does not pick mercedes !

When making their list of most recalled vehicles......

.

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

There was an inconspicuous link to a story about dangerous airports in the US:

Perhaps more interesting...?...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Much more interesting, not for the alleged facts but more for the reflection of the zeitgeist.......

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Thanks for link. San Antonio (TX) has pretty small air port (short runway), but I'll take that into account when looking at where they have to stop.

Perhaps the goods news-- at least I don't have to worry about my car!

(wanders off to check frequent flier miles, last will & testimony, life insurance, etc.) ;)

Reply to
bbocquin

I'd like to see a similar analysis for the world's major airports... (glancing at HIS last will & testimony...)

Apparently the old Hong Kong airport was tricky (at least potentially dangerous) because of a sheer cliff quite near. Once read a hair-raising report of a landing in heavy winds...

Actually, the airports/air space in the London are quite risky because of the heavy traffic. Reports about near misses keep surfacing... And presently I am there (in the airports/air space) extremely often...yet again on Monday eve...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

How many feet above the ground are you at the moment..?...

;-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I'd be interested in reading that. If you can remember a date maybe I can google it.

Scariest experience of my life was (years ago) when I received an introductory set of flying lessons as a gift. Wonderful experience!

Then I wasted good money to continue towards a license. Found it just wasn't for me. Instructor pilot (IP) always right beside you. Landed one day and my IP tells me to taxi back, and radio tower for takeoff again. Fly same pattern. "Great! I've finally earned my wings!"

Then (about halfway into my first & last "solo") I realized I'm *alone* up here! I've got to *land* this pig... I could conceivably come to an untimely end... No Trusty IP to take over...

Landing uneventful, but I think my hands were shaking and I sure was glad to be back on the ground. IP said my reaction wasn't unheard of-- he'd be concerned if I *wasn't* at all concerned. But never finished after that first solo. Personality types I guess; I'm more into cars. Still enjoy aviation stories, but now I leave the flying to the professionals. Air ports? I just pray my pilot hasn't been getting into the hooch! You hear horror stories about that too! :- 0 !

--Bruce

Reply to
bbocquin

I'll second that. I remember flying (being flown, actually) in to Kai Tak as the plane swung from side to side and watching the housewies putting out the day's laundry on their balconies of their high-rise as we flew by. It was apparently one of the few large airports in the world where pilots actually _flew_ the plane into a landing, as opposed to setting a few knobs on a computer. I also remember the whiffs of (ahem) "harbory" smell from the standing water surrounding the runway.

For pictures try:

John M. Flyin' low in my '94 E320

Reply to
Imethisguy