FREE! FREE! FREE! W116 300SD Engine!

Would someone be so kind to remove this running,150,000 mile,well maintained engine out of my garage?Seeing that there is no photo section here,go to my photo album.
http://stuck-in-alaska.tripod.com/mymercedes
Surely someone out there wants it:
new glow plugs replaced turbocharger complete (minus starter and alternator) engine,everything,just drop in and go!!!! It's driving me nuts,must go!And free...
This would be a good engine for a local fishing boat or for power generation, both of which would use a non-automotive transmission.
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Volvo Penta seems to be the favored boat powerplant here but using as a generator is a very interesting thought.
That's what those old VW Rabbit/Jetta diesel motors are for. They're relatively lightweight and can power a lot. Unless one wants to power a small hospital, the the M-B might be more sutiable.
This would be a good engine to convert to corn oil. It's just sitting there, waiting, waiting, waiting....
Collin KC8TKA
Cheesehead wrote:

waiting,waiting,waiting.....for you. :) Come get it ;)

Auto engines make poor marine engine unless substantially reworked. As a generator engine it would work for a simple set running at 3600 rpm, but the noise!
You are right about the noise! LOL... How about dropping it into a pickup truck? You gotta have a pick up truck in Alaska...
And where is it located?

Anchorage,Alaska.
Tiger wrote:

Sadly cursed with a Jeep Cherokee (XJ),that looks so out of place in my driveway.
Chas Hurst wrote:

Would keep the bears and moose away :)
I see absolutely no reason a MB diesel, non-turbo, wouldn't work fine in a marine environment. Just make certain you use fresh water cooling and it should work fine. I have no idea what would need to be "re-worked" since diesels work great at constant rpm, hence their success as marine and generator power. A friend of mine put a 190 diesel in his 42-ft trimaran and it worked out perfect. Also, I have the original generator which came out of the Star of India in San Diego.....a 30kw unit with a Detroit 2-71 two-stroke with blower. I'm not certain that with a little ingenuity you might be able to use a large radiator with air drawn and exited from on deck to cool a diesel.

rpm,

I was not referring to a turbo diesel although they also seem to work fine in marine applications. The only difference between a marine diesel and an over-the-road diesel is in the cooling system, and the fact that marine diesels tend to get more attention and a cleaner environment. Otherwise there is essentially no difference.....except price. a Cummins marine diesel is almost identical to a truck diesel. Incidentally, the same is true of gas engines as well. Most high-performance boats use nothing more than hopped up auto engines, with the exception of the high-performance marine diesels which are all virtually turbo-charged. Have a friend with three in his ocean racer. Just touches the tops of the waves on his way to Catalina Island.