Fresh Air

Does anyone with a modern (2004) MB fitted with the Thermotronic (intelligent) Air Conditioning system (not the Thermatic AC system) know how to make it supply fresh air from the outside?

I have studied the OM in detail, and I can find no way to achieve this very simple function. Apart from opening the windows/sunroof that is.

I thought that I had defeated the 'brain' at one stage by setting the internal temperature control to the indicated external temperature, but all that achieves is the blower stops running...

Surely this normal requirement has not been overlooked. Or have I missed something?

David

Reply to
David J

It's "intelligent," what else do you want?

Some design, jeeeez.

Makes me appreciate my "stupid" car.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

It wouldn't be the first German car built without a fresh air blower option. It was a rather annoying habit of Audi a few years back.

Reply to
Hazey

What exactly are you talking about? Model? Year?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

THERMOTRONIC normally uses fresh air from the outside.

Have you already tried to switch-off everything (_auto_ buttons and _a/c_ button)? As at higher outside temperatures air-recirculation mode is activated automatically, in such a situation deactivate it then by pressing the air-recirculation mode button (car symbol with circular arrow inside, indicator lamp in the button lights if air-reciculation mode is active).

Now there should be no automatic cooling or heating (and no air-dehumidification) - you can control the amount of air coming in by pressing the buttons with the big fan symbol (increases airflow) and small fan symbol (decreases airflow). That should give you fresh air from the outside only, without any heating/cooling/air-dehumidification. And be sure to set the air distribution to the desired mode by using the two thumbwheels (around the _auto_ buttons) and to open the air vents by use of their thumbwheels (4 altogether).

Does that help?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Indeed, my 1999 E430 (for example) defaults to fresh air unless I turn

*on* the recirculation. It also has a very effective charcoal filter if you change it every few years.
Reply to
me

Yes, of course. I should have said 'not-treated' fresh air.. ' Its a CLX 240

Certainly does.... I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

David.

Reply to
David J

Minor thing - did you mean CLK... ?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes - it was way after my bedtime....lol

David

Reply to
David J

Yes, that seemed to do the trick, That's with a red light showing on the AC OFF switch, and no Auto red lights.

(why didn't MB call it the AC ON switch, like everyone else?)

Those two Auto red lights seem to have a mind of their own. A simple press doesn't always extinguish them. A rotation seems to work.

There is also the word Auto on the blower speed display. That one goes off as you reduce the blower speed manually. Is that indicating the same information as the red lights in the 2 rotary switches?

I realise that with an automatic control system like this, you can't fiddle with the knobs and expect immediate results. It takes time to stabilize. Overall, it's a bit too smart IMHO.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
David J

FWIW I have a CLK cab W208 (2001) with what i think is called ACC (auto climate control).

The red auto light go off -- IIRC -- when I fiddle with fan speed switch.

It seems you have a different arrangement. I think you have a newer generation as I have no knobs with lights.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Probably.

This is what the Thermotronic control panel looks like on mine

David

Reply to
David J