Fuel addative required or not?

Hi I have a 230 E (1984) model and am inquiring if I need to add a fuel additive to my tank when I fill with non leaded fuel. I have been told both yes and no. Please advise what is the right thing to do for my car. Thanks in advance for your reply's.

Aussie driver.

Reply to
Russell

February 1984 on runs happily on unleaded.

being the build date, not the delivery into Australia date. If it was built before this, yes, you need additive.

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

Hi Russell You might want to have a read of this:

We have a 82 230E and run premium unleaded with octaine booster and the valve lubrecant, makes the engine run a little hot but you get a much smoother ride and slight performace increase over the Lead Replacement, which frankly is just rubbish,

Regards Des

Reply to
Des

Which wont be around for much longer anyway

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

My understanding is that the non-lead fuels do contain additives which adequately lubricate the valve stems. The reason TEL was added to fuel in the past was that the lead provided lubrication to the valve stems under high heat conditions. The problem was the lead would built up on the back of valves. Can't tell you how ugly some of those valves looked during an overhaul. Newer vehicles also have valve stems and guides of different material now that don't need as much lubrication as in the past. If it were mine I wouldn't worry about it and would just use unleaded fuel without any additives. I've been told the additives are a joke and just a way to get more coin from your pocket. Good luck!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks