fuel pressure damper

is there a way to test this on a 73 450sl?

Reply to
450sl

Do you mean the fuel pressure regultor? Do you have access to a fuel pressure meter?

Engine manual has a procedure to check it without using the suggested Bosch EFAW 288 meter which checks the fuel system?

Reply to
Ken

Is'nt the damper connected to the pressure regulator?from the fuel pressure regulator there are three lines 2 to the fuel rails, the othere to the canister next to it, which I thought was the fuel damper?

Reply to
450sl

The fuel damper is just downstream (fancy mechanic lingo) from the fuel strainer attached to the bottom of the fuel tank, B4 the fuel pump(s). There's also a fuel accumulator in this mix of pump(s) and filter but I really don't know what either does. Under the hood at the rear of the intake manifold are two fuel pressure regulators...baby fist sized metallic things with a adjustment hex screw on the top. Why it has two, again I don't know. But the book has a test set up with a fuel pressure tester to see if they are working. Could send you hard copies of the procedure. K

Reply to
Ken

The regulatory and damper look very similar, but the regulator (3 hoses) sits between injector rail and the fuel return pipe. The idea is that the fuel pump pushes fulel up the pipe and the regulaory controls pressure by allowing some to return to your tank. The Damper (2 hoses) sits on the fuel supply side and many people just chuck them away as they don't seems to do much if everything else is OK.

I don't know of a way of testing the pressure in the rail without a guage, but I have watched a old Merc mechanic do it by ear. He simply warmed up the car, and slowly turned the control hex nut until he got the best idle. Probably not recommended for mere mortals.

good luck, Jeff

Ken wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks I just learned something....And am sorry for any incorrect/dumb advice, (but there is a damper next to the external fuel pump....K

Reply to
Ken

thanks ken and jeff, this is hard to do without the right tools, everything i had got ruined in hurricane wilma, had to relocate and money is tight right now. i appriciate the answers to all my questions.

Reply to
450sl