Fuel pump noise in 190E 2.6?

An intermittent groaning sound is coming from the rear, both driving and stopped. I assume it's the fuel pump. Does this sound indicate impending failure? Do I need to replace one or both? Where are the pumps?
****Dennis Wyatt*****
Thanks T.G. What is the solution? Two pumps or just the noisy one? Are they in the tank?
If it's delivering gas but makes a bellowing (groaning) noise it may be the fuel filter. Had a similar problem - replaced it with a $30 fuel filter that remedied the situation.
SBC

I dunno, my 1985 380SE has always made a noise from the fuel pump like an idling commercial jet, but I have yet to have any problems. Richard