Fuel Pump Relay 84 380SL

My fuel pump relay is shot. I can however jump out the contacts and run the car. What will this hurt? It is controlled through the ignition switch. What else does this relay do?

Reply to
Jim & Shannon

Shuts off the electric fuel pump when the car is in a crash and so prevents a fuel fed fire!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Replace it! it's not that expensive...

marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
Jim & Shannon

It also controls electric kickdown of your auto trans.

It is also the rev limiter of your engine. It shuts off the fuel pump when you exceed the RPM's shown on top.

Reply to
Karl