Fuel Pump Relay 84 380SL

My fuel pump relay is shot. I can however jump out the contacts and run the car. What will this hurt? It is controlled through the ignition switch. What
else does this relay do?
Shuts off the electric fuel pump when the car is in a crash and so prevents a fuel fed fire!

Replace it! it's not that expensive...
marty
This relay has 7 contacts and also says on the outside it is a kickdown also my question is, other than a fuel shut off, what does the rest of the components in the relay do?
said:

It also controls electric kickdown of your auto trans.
It is also the rev limiter of your engine. It shuts off the fuel pump when you exceed the RPM's shown on top.