fuel pump wire

1984 500 SEL euro .Car quit the other day (ran out of gas, and my fuel gauge doesnt work). I didnt think it was gas though, because I just changed the fuel filter, so I figured maybe something came loose.
Nothing was, but a wire going towards the fuel pump (positive i think) was hot. I mean so hot it burned me when I touched it, but the other one wasnt hot. Is that normal? It was REALLY hot
Sounds like fuel pump is toast. Draw too much current and thus makes the wire hot... this also means the fuel pump relay is toast also... as the relay is stuck on... which is why you felt the hot wire when engine is off... which should have turned off the power to the fuel pump also.
The fuel pump works fine though. The car ended up being out of gas and runs fine.